Monday, April 7, 2014

Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier

Rating: 5/5 stars

I don't know about you, but I was greatly anticipating this sequel from the very beginning! After the first one was released, I thought "That was good, but they can do better." That's was I was expecting, coming into this movie; better. It certainly did not disappoint. In fact, it blew away all the other Marvel movies I have ever seen. 

For those who know what I'm talking about, I was surprised when I first heard they were going to take the plot in this direction, but I wasn't going to judge it until after I watched it. BOY, WAS I SURPRISED. If you had any doubts that the plot would be lame, allow me to cast all those away. 
The action was unbelievable! It was almost nonstop, but it wasn't too much! The intensity level compared to the first movie was off the charts! Along with the body count. It was much darker and more violent than Captain America: The First Avenger. But it was done very well! It wasn't gruesome and distasteful, it was just more intense.
The plot to this movie was very intricate and deep. It wasn't simply another cool Marvel movie with a plot that solves itself. It's connected to the first Captain America movie, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, the Avenger... all of them! Everything that happens in this movie affects what will be in the future Marvel movies. One thing I really liked is their focus on S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury.

Nick Fury has made many appearances in past Marvel movies, but this one really made him shine. I've been waiting for a long time to see some Nick action. This was satisfactory! It dug so much deeper into who he was and what he stands for. You got a close look at his character, and I liked that. It showed that he was more than just the boss. The boss has problems too. The boss can fall down too. 

Speaking of falling down, this movie did NOT hesitate to injure main characters. Most of the time, the main character gets hurt, but he overcomes it. But this movie has serious moments of not knowing whether or not _____ will survive. 

Steve Rogers was phenomenal. I call him Steve because he's not the typical hero. He's a normal guy who tries to love a normal life. He's humble and compassionate, a great guy in general. As I've said before, he didn't just show off his awesome kick butt skills, he revealed more of himself, more of his personality and his struggles. Throughout the movie, there are some really emotional scenes if you understand them. Steve fought for what he believed in and what he thought was right. He kept his friends close and never left them.
Which leads me to Natasha (aka Black Widow)! I was so glad they focused on her friendship with Cap. It was so great! It also hinted to her past SO FREAKING MUCH. I just have to learn more! She also showed her true colors, which were more than a hot body and epic combat moves. 

Falcon was a great addition to this movie! He had cool wings, but his character and his personality is what stood out more than anything! He's a normal soldier, someone who befriends Steve and sticks with him til the end. He quickly became the character you want as your best friend. Not to mention he's a total boss. He could kill you with no limbs and his eyes closed. 

All in all, The Winter Soldier was a phenomenal, character-driven action movie you will want to see again! I can honestly say it it the best Marvel movie I have ever seen. 

P.S. WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE CREDITS! There are TWO scenes you will not want to miss! It leads right into Avengers: Age of Ultron!

P.P.S I am also excited to inform you that there WILL be a third movie to the Captain America series! The release date has not yet been revealed. 

Hope this review was helpful! Have a spectacular day!

-Matt Keenan

3 comments:

  1. Perfect review Matthew!!!! Very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review Matt. It's always worth watching, if only because it's so spirited and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominated you for the Liebster Award on my blog! Check it out here:
    http://betweenthepagez.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/leibster-award/

    ReplyDelete